Tuesday, October 25, 2011

San Francisco

Still looking hip as ever with my mullet.

This weekend B and I went to San Francisco. We had two tagalongs, Artur and Frank, B's coworkers that were in town for the week. We all headed up to San Fran on Sunday to do some sight seeing. Being the tour leader/planner that I am I had an extensive list of things to do and places to eat. We only made it to three of them. First we went to Coit Tower which sits on top of Telegraph Hill and is a pretty cool lookout area in the North Bay area.

View from Coit Tower.

Being a grown-up on top of Telegraph Hill.

Then we took all eight-hundred stairs down to the bay and walked up to Pier 39. Which of course was full of 8 million tourists and I thought I was going to have a panic attack from how slow and unaware of their space people are. But I made it though to get some clam chowder in a bread bowl. News Flash....I still really like clam chowder. I like the idea of it, but I don't like it. I don't like clams. It's like eating soup with lougies in it. Anyways, after our chowder and beer we took a ride on one of the historic trolleys.

Look how excited I am about the trolley.
Those two guys taking pictures are our weekend tagalongs.

I could probably walk faster than it but the boys indulged me and rode the trolley for 30 minutes to Haight-Ashbury where we got some coffee and took a break from the sun. Then we took a stroll in Golden Gate Park, where we stumbled upon a drum circle complete with a dijarido and clarinet.

I looked for Carrie but she wasn't there.

After being offered "edibles" after every five hundred feet we took the hottest cable car ride of my life back to downtown San Fran and walked (mainly uphill of course) back to the car. No one congratulated me on my restraint of not going into any of the stores. I thought I deserved a trophy for not going into any of the vintage stores or the entire downtown of "every store I ever want to go to in one place" shopping area. I should probably reward myself with a new sweater right?
I bet you are wondering what I have been doing since my last post. Well, being a 40 hour working woman in the suburbs, not a whole lot. I have been slowly refinishing my dress that I have had since I was literally 9. I also went to the Computer Science History Museum. It was riveting... Actually it was ok, they didn't really ever explain how a computer works or just computer basics so I was really confused most of the time. But we did get a sweet demonstration by a volunteer named Herb on a Babbage Difference Engine.

My new BFF, Herb

It took him twice as long to give the demonstration because as he kept having "senior moments" (his words) and forgetting to tell us things. He is demonstrating this crazy machines designed to do math so ships stop sailing into rocks, but it was never actually built when it was designed because it took too long to build. Then some crazies decided to replicate it and now it is in Mountain View on loan from a guy who paid to have it replicated so he could have it in his house. Except, he has to reinforce his floor before putting it in his house because it weighes 5 tons. Yeah literally 5 tons. I'm putting one on my x-mas wish list.

No comments:

Post a Comment